Learn with Wenatchee River Institute staff through these video lessons and an activity/discussion guide that accompanies them!
- Signs of Spring: Video | Activity Sheet
- Science of Wildfires: Video | Activity Sheet
- Coyote Eats the Sun: Video | Activity Sheet
- Masters of Disguise & Display: Video | Activity Sheet
- All About Birds!: Video | Activity Sheet
- Rockin' Out in North Central Washington: Video | Activity Sheet
- Ecosystems of Leavenworth & Wenatchee: Video | K-2 Activity Sheet | 3-5 Activity Sheet
- Animal Homes: Video | Activity Sheet
- Why Do Animals Behave the Way They Do?: Video | Activity Sheet
- All About Insects: Video | Activity Sheet
- What is a Naturalist?: Video | Activity Sheet
You can also access these video lessons on our Google Classroom (code 5ar3pc7). Here, you can post what you observed, questions that arose, or pages from your nature journal.
Plant ID Mini-Series: Watch these videos and see if you can find these plants in your backyard or neighborhood!
- Episode 1: Serviceberry
- Episode 2: Arrowleaf Balsamroot
- Episode 3: Non-Plant Special - Morel Mushrooms
- Episode 4: Red Osier Dogwood
- Episode 5: Yarrow
- Episode 6: Broadleaf Lupine
- Episode 7: Thimbleberry
- Episode 8: Big Sagebrush
- Episode 9: Antelope Bitterbrush
- Episode 10: Blue Elderberry
- Episode 11: Ocean-spray
- Episode 12: Phantom Orchid
- Episode 13: Mock Orange
- Episode 14: Western Red Cedar
- Episode 15: Goldenrod
- Episode 16: Snowberry
- Episode 17: Quaking Aspen
- Episode 18: Bracken Fern
- Episode 19: Mullein
- Episode 20: Chanterelle Mushrooms
VIRTUAL LEARNING PAGES:
- Wenatchee Naturalist Blog - Curious about local flora and fauna in the Wenatchee Foothills? Read this blog to learn about native plants, long toed salamanders, backyard birding and more!
- HomeSchool SnowSchool
- Nature Vision
- PBS Learning Media: Earth and Space Science
- Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration - Another site with a collection of resources!
- National Geographic Kids
- Fun Brain
- Mystery Science lesson: How can you find animals in the woods? Mystery Science has lots of science lessons for remote learning, categorized by age!
- Washington Native Plant Society- learn about Washington Native plants with fun coloring pages, educational videos, and activities including scavenger hunts!
PODCASTS & VIDEOS:
- Science Podcasts for Kids
- Storytime From Space - While in space, astronauts are videotaping themselves reading books to the children of Earth.
- North Central Regional Library's Interview with an Aspiring Herpetologist
- TED-Ed: Vultures
- Iridophore - Wenatchee-based aspiring Herpetologist's YouTube Channel.
- San Diego Zoo Cameras - Including polar bears, burrowing owls, koalas, and more!
- San Francisco Bay Ospreys Camera
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Cameras
- Panda Cam
- Houston Zoo
- Georgia Aquarium - Beluga Whale Web Cam
- Build a Cardboard Dome
- Build a Cotton Ball Launcher
- Make Your Own Catapult
- Make Your Own Hovercraft
- Tallest Tower Challenge - All you need is spaghetti & marshmallows!
ALL ABOUT BIRDS:
- Dissect an Owl Pellet - Virtually!
- Birdsleuth Explorer's Guidebook - Printable activity booklet.
- All About Feathers
- All About Birds Media library - Includes "How to Identify Bird Songs," "How Woodpeckers Avoid Brain Injury," and much more.
- Why Is Spring So Noisy? - Exploration with adaptations for different grade levels.
- Make Your Own Hummingbird Feeder From Recycled Soda Bottles