Introducing the first annual Trashion Show! Turn trash into fashion and maybe win a prize. Not creating a fashion piece? Come on down to see the models in action!
This contest is open to anyone who has a desire to turn trash into fashion, to create fun wearable garments from discarded material, and to recycle and repurpose “junk” into fabulous and fantastic fashion. Entrants are encouraged to let their imaginations go, be wildly inventive, and to “think outside of the recycle bin.” Ideas and creations submitted for entry must be the original work of the submitting entrant(s).
1. Fashions must be made from at least 75% recyclable or reused materials that would otherwise be thrown away or recycled.
2. Fashions can include cardboard, steel/tin, recycled fabric or clothing, aluminum, plastics, paper cartons, chipboard, newspaper, mixed papers (magazines, junk mail, and catalogs), paper bags, and other materials.
3. Vintage or used clothing will not be accepted unless it has been significantly repurposed and redesigned into something substantially “new.”
3. Check out this video for ideas of materials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTKESLsQAQ
4. Binding materials may be used to hold the pieces together. These might include: glue, tape, string, twine, staples, and other materials. These materials may be purchased new.
5. If your fashion article is being attached to a fabric base, this cannot be bought new. Please purchase from a second- hand store or use something from your own or a friend’s closet.
6. Contest pieces must be durable enough for wear throughout the all contest levels of the Fashion Show.
7. Up to four people can be on each Trashion design team. Adults and youth can both be on the same team. Each entry must provide its own model. The model does not have to be part of the design team.
8. Only 25 entrants will be selected to participate.
9. Entrants will be judged on four criteria:
• Use of recycled materials or trash
• Quality of construction
• Description of your fashion item from registration form
10. Creative description of the outfit such as materials used, how the outfit was made, and at least one environment “factoid” that connects with your fashion (i.e., Angie’s dress is made of 138 sheets of paper. In the U.S., we throw away 4.5 million tons of office paper each year). This description will be read by M.C. as your model is walking the runway and will be part of the judging.
11. The day of the show, a model must wear the clothing, walk to the end of the runway, post, turn, post, walk to back and return for last judging.
12. Prizes will be awarded:
• Older Youth (14 and older
• Elementary Youth (13 and younger)
• People’s Choice
Register by June 1st to be entered into the contest.
Register your team by hitting the red 'Register Now' button above.