Introducing the first annual Trashion Show with Wenatchee River Institute! A fashion show showcasing wearable garments using recycled materials and repurposed clothes. Create a team to build a Trashion masterpiece to be modeled down the runway OR come down to see the creative pieces built by your neighbors! Audience members will get to vote for the People's Choice Award. Prizes are available for each category of design team. This event is put on is partnership with Waste Loop, Sustainable Wenatchee, and the Sustainability Club at Wenatchee Valley College.
Local beer and wine will be for sale during this event, along with non-alcoholic beverages.
Registration is only for design teams. If you want to just come witness the fun, no registration required.
The contest is open to anyone who has a desire to turn trash into fashion, to create fun wearable garments from discarded material, and to recycle and repurpose “junk” into fabulous and fantastic fashion. Entrants are encouraged to let their imaginations go, be wildly inventive, and to “think outside of the recycle bin.” Ideas and creations submitted for entry must be the original work of the submitting entrant(s).
1. Fashion items must be made from at least 75% recyclable or reused materials.
2. Fashion items can include cardboard, steel/tin, recycled fabric or clothing, aluminum, plastics, paper cartons, Styrofoam, newspaper, mixed papers (magazines, junk mail, and catalogs), paper bags, and other materials.
3. Vintage or used clothing will not be accepted unless it has been significantly repurposed and redesigned into something substantially “new.”
4. Check out this video for ideas of materials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFTKESLsQAQ
5. Binding materials may be used to hold the pieces together. These might include glue, tape, string, twine, staples, and other materials. These materials may be purchased new.
6. If your fashion article is being attached to a fabric base, this cannot be bought new. Please purchase from a second-hand store or use something from your own or a friend’s closet.
7. Contest pieces must be durable enough for wear throughout all levels of the Fashion Show.
8. Up to five people can be on each Trashion design team. See categories of teams for prizes below. Each entry must provide its own model. The model does not have to be part of the design team.
9. Entrants will be judged on four criteria:
• Use of recycled materials or trash
• Quality of construction
• Description of your fashion item from registration form
10. Create a unique description of the outfit such as materials used, how the outfit was made, and at least one environment “factoid” that connects with your fashion (i.e., Angie’s dress is made of 138 sheets of paper. In the U.S., we throw away 4.5 million tons of office paper each year). This description will be read by M.C. as your model is walking the runway and will be part of the judging.
11. The day of the show, a model must wear the clothing, walk to the end of the runway, post, turn, post, walk to back and return for last judging.
12. Prizes will be awarded:
•Older Youth (12-17)
•Elementary Youth (11 and younger)
Register by April 15th to be entered into the contest. Register your team by hitting the red 'Register Your Design Team Here' button above.